Hastings & Rye CLP Organiser required
HASTINGS AND RYE CONSTITUENCY LABOUR PARTY
Membership has increased from 450 to over 1800 in the last 2 years, and following the extremely close General election result in June 2017, the CLP now seek a full time organiser to increase the number of active members to 10%, and to ensure the 2018 Hastings Borough Council elections are won. The post is funded by the Labour Party nationally and locally for 12 months in the first instance from October 2017. Salary is £26,000 pa. This post is available on either a full time (35hrs pw) or 2 part time posts (17.5hrs pw). Applications for job share will be sympathetically received.
Purpose of role: To organise Labour party activities and election campaigns in Hastings and Rye
Duties: 1. To lead for the Hastings Borough Council election campaign (October 2017-May 2018).
- To act as Party Agent for the campaign, including managing electoral data, campaign budgets and ensuring compliance with electoral law.
- To produce and distribute publicity materials as agreed by the Campaign Committee, working closely with candidates.
- To increase the number of local activists by supporting and developing party members in a wide range of activities, training, events and meetings, and to ensure excellent publicity for these.
- To develop and maintain excellent local communication between party members including email, social media and social events.
- To attend local party meetings to ensure an effective working relationship with members.
- To support the introduction of ward organisers and encourage candidates to stand for the 2018 elections by providing training and mentoring for local members.
- To assist branches in developing effective fundraising to ensure election costs are met.
- To promote equality of opportunity and in particular ensure that women and BAME communities, people with disabilities and LGBT people are better represented within all local party positions.
- Demonstrably strong organisational, communication and campaigning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills with the ability to work with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent current IT skills including the ability to manage online communications and data bases.
- Recent experience of producing effective print materials.
- Proven ability to manage and account for budgets.
- Successful fundraising experience.
- A flexible approach with the ability to prioritise a busy workload to meet targets.
- Good knowledge of, and interest in, current UK politics.
- Proven experience in supporting and developing volunteers.
- Demonstrable commitment to equalities.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Current knowledge of the Labour Party nationally.
- Experience of being a party agent.
- Ability to drive and a current car owner.
The post holder will report to the CLP Chair, and work closely with the Campaign Committee and local and regional party officers. They will be based at the party offices in central Hastings.
The Labour Party values equality and diversity, and welcomes applications from candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy or maternity.
Closing Date: 8th September 2017, 12noon
Interview date: 21st September 2017, with a start date to be as soon as can be agreed.
All applicants should send a CV and covering letter detailing how they meet the Person Specification to Paul Barnett, the Hastings and Rye Chair at email@example.com.